Hell is People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Hell is other people."

4 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

"Hell is other people." Empty "Hell is other people."

Post by Mr. Fountain Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:29 pm

The Room
The Valet

"Right this way, please," said a voice behind the door. Four sets of footsteps were also heard from behind the door -- they sounded like they had an echo, as if they were coming from inside of a long hallway. 

They grew louder and louder as the sounds approached the door. The sounds stopped right outside of the door, and there was a half-moment's worth of silence before the door to was pulled open. At the same time that the door was opened, the lights clicked on and the room was illuminated in perfectly white light.

The room was about 12-by-19 feet with very few items decorating it. There was an arrangement of three benches in the center of the room: two hard, white, marble benches and another with a black cushion on top. The arrangement of benches would have looked like a perfect square had there been another bench. The walls, like the floors, were made of pure white marble and there was a piece of decor on them in front of each of the three benches. 

In front of the middle bench, the one furthest from the door, was a large window that only showed a wall of red brickwork outside of it. This window was decorated with heavy, velvet, purple curtains which were held open to show the window with gilded rope. In front of the right bench, was an almost completely empty mahogany bookshelf. There were simply three composite notebooks on the shelf, one pencil, and two nail files. In front of the left bench, was a large replica of da Vinci's Vitruvian Man. The door to the room looked much like a heavy door commonly found in warehouses or public bathrooms -- the kind that had the large, spherical and bulbous handles. The only other thing of note was the bright red button that was built into the wall beside the door. 

Finally, three people were ushered almost mindlessly into the room by a man dressed like a stereotypical valet of a hotel. 

"Well, ladies and gentleman, this is where you will be staying for the duration of your time in this fine establishment. If you have any questions, please feel free to speak up now," the man said.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

"Hell is other people." Empty Re: "Hell is other people."

Post by Thade Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:01 pm

Mortimer Pessoa

With a quick and analyzing eye I scanned the room.  The first thing that came to my attention was the near total lack of anything that could be considered cozy.  No beds, no real chairs outside of the benches, no books besides the three notebooks on the shelf.  It looked like a waiting room in a palace, but one that had been purposely made to be as unwelcoming as possible.

The second thing that came to my attention was the remarkable and highly improbable fact that I didn't seem to be dead.  That I had planned my suicide for weeks and had taken every precaution to assure my demise didn't have any bearing on the fact that I could breath, and feel my heart beating.  It occurred to me this could be an illusion brought upon me during my last moments, but everything was too real, too tangible to be merely a dream.

I glanced over to the people near me, aware of them for the first time.  I noticed the valet and shuddered for reasons I couldn't fully understand.  He seemed totally normal.  But the way he spoke, the way he carried himself filled me with an inexplicable terror.  

Finally, I found within me the ability to speak--

"Where am I, why am I here, who are you, and what on earth do you mean by 'duration of your time in this fine establishment?"  I spat the words out like a police interrogator, my tone one of cold anger.
Thade
Thade
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:05 am

Elijah Ferguson

My eyes darted over the scene before me, just trying to process the contents of the room. What the hell was even the point of a window when it had no view? And why were these benches so... uncomfortable looking? What was the point of what was evidentally a notebook for each person, if there was only a single pencil between the three of them? And the nail files, just... why? The Vitruvian Man, that seemed in bad taste, somehow.

This entire... waiting room, was it? The whole thing looked like the designer either had no idea what he was doing, or that it was clearly not intended to be terribly pleasant for those within. Hell, it didn't even have any magazines or anything.

The man next to me is spouting questions angrily at the Valet, I rub my temple and compose myself. This isn't right. This can't be right. Why aren't I in a hospital? Why isn't my sister here with me, or paramedics, or... anything? Questions race through my mind a mile a minute but I can't seem to spit them out. I feel disoriented. Confused.
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Snœflæk Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:43 pm

Tamela Hand

I open my eyes. I have done it. I'm here. It's wonderful... Then why do the others seem so distraught? This is a wonderful place! I step forward to the butler, and give him my finest curtsy.
"Thank you for your hospitality, sir."
I curtsy again, and head to one of the benches. I sink down onto its hard surface, nuzzling up to the cushion. I cross my legs and inspect my finger nails.
Odd.
I'd have thought that they'd be at least a LITTLE charred still. But of course I'm not thinking in terms of Hell. I mean, this obviously isn't the same body I'd left in that mansion.
I wonder when they'll be done questioning the nice gentleman...
Snœflæk
Snœflæk
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:03 am

The Valet

"Where am I, why am I here, who are you, and what on earth do you mean by 'duration of your time in this fine establishment?"

The Valet smiled a smile that didn't quite reach up to his unblinking eyes. "I'm sorry, sir," he began in a tone that screamed respect so loudly that one might think the valet was mocking the poor man. "Did they not tell you on the way down? Well, I don't believe I need to explain what's happened to you. You're dead, of course. All three of you. Yes, they didn't tell me how it happened, but I'm certain that I can tell you that you have all passed away."

"As to where you are, well, this is it," the Valet made a motion with his hands as if to show off the room. "This is where you'll be staying here. I'm afraid that I can't give you a better explanation than that."

"And I am one of the valets here," he finished with no small amount of pride.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thade Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:32 am

Mortimer Pessoa

My mind races.  Dead.  Room.  Three people.  Mysterious and eyelidless Valet.  I blink twice as my mind reaches an impossible conclusion.  I am currently in Jean Paul Sartre's play Huis Clos.  The full absurdity of this realization temporarily overwhelms my senses.  My vision blurs.  I can hear a ringing in my left ear.  But levelheadedness gets the better of me.  My mind snaps back into place.  This is a situation that must be dealt with.  My mental breakdown can come at a later time.

"I see.  So I am currently in hell.  The hell most prominently featured in a certain Sartre play?  I must admit I expected something more along the lines of Dante's seventh circle if anything at all...  Is this where I'll be spending eternity?  Interesting...  Do you think I could get a glass of water?  I'm a little parched.  Oh, and who exactly might they be?"  My voice is level, but occasional tones of distress show through.

I pat the pockets of the black wool topcoat I had on during my death.  There are a few items that I would very much like to have on me for the rest of eternity.  Items of both a practical and sentimental nature.  Plus some cigarettes.  I'll need them once the insanity of this situation fully sets in.
Thade
Thade
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:02 am

The Valet

"This is where you'll be spending your stay, yes," the valet answers cordially. "But why ever would you need a glass of water, sir? You don't require anything of the sort here."

The valet turns towards the other two inhabitants when Mortimer mentions "them." 

"Do you mean them or them?" the valet asks innocently. "If you mean them, then they are your roommates. But if you mean them, then I should tell you that they run the place."
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:10 pm

Elijah Ferguson

"You're dead, of course."

My head spun. I palmed the throbbing nerve in my forehead, trying to calm myself. I felt myself break out in a cold sweat "We're... dead? This is it? Hell? This can't be hell, this is nothing like what its supposed to be! This can't be real!"

In a daze I unthinkingly grab the valet by his shirt collar, shaking him vigorously "You're lying! Tell me you're lying!"

Last edited by Mr. Finale on Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thade Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:39 pm

Mortimer Pessoa

"Hold on, let him go."  I rip the man away from the valet and shove him backwards across the room, as I now stare into the unblinking and almost dead looking eyes of the valet.
Wait a minute.  I say nothing as I lose my earlier calm for a desperate anger.   I don't particularly want to spend eternity with two other idiots.  I need an opportunity, however slim.  This valet, however polite he may try to be, knows the way out.  And he's standing in the way of my death.

My hand snaps out to grab the ethereal and terrifying valet by the neck, and I stare into his eyes, an expression of anger and mild insanity plastered across my features.
"How about we make a deal.  You let me die, for real, none of this messy afterlife business, and I don't rip your throat out.  Sound good?"  I mutter the words just loudly enough to be heard, but in a sharply commanding tone.  I don't expect this to work, I never was good at threats, but I have no other options. And I want out.
Thade
Thade
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:50 pm

The Valet

The valet didn't so much as flinch when Elijah became violent with him, and when the angry man was finally pulled off of him, he took the small break in violence to gracefully brush off the front of his vest and straighten out his shirt collar. 

"How about we make a deal.  You let me die, for real, none of this messy afterlife business, and I don't rip your throat out.  Sound good?"

If the valet felt threatened by the hands currently gripping his neck, he didn't show it. "I'm terribly sorry, sir," he said in the same cordial tone. "That's simply not within my power."
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thade Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:06 pm

Mortimer Pessoa

With a sigh I let go and take a step back, adjusting my coat slightly, but not taking my eyes off my only hope of escape.  Out of the corner of my eye I notice a red button, but it only occupies my mind for an instant, before hopes of genuine escape return.

"Yeah, I figured that was the case.  Any chance at all of me ever getting out of this literal hellhole?"  I say in a calmer tone, but traces of anger still remain.

I glance momentarily at my companions.  They've really left me high and dry.  That guy's having a mental break worse than my own, and that girl seemed actually pleased to be here.
Thade
Thade
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:22 pm

The Valet

The valet puts on either a genuine or a mock expression of confusion, it's unlikely that anyone could tell which. "Leave the establishment? I've never heard of anyone leaving this fine place. Even why they would is a mystery to me," the valet answers.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:11 pm

Elijah Ferguson

"Leave the establishment? I've never heard of anyone leaving this fine place. Even why they would is a mystery to me,"

I motioned flusteredly toward the da Vinci replica "Well for one, your interior decorator sucks." Making cheap petty insults wasn't my style but I would do anything at the moment to compose myself or make myself feel even marginally better about the situation.
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:06 pm

The Valet

The valet turned towards Elijah and smiled and nodded. "I'll be sure to take your complaint straight to him, sir," the valet assured. He then turned towards each of the inhabitants in sequence before saying to no one in particular, "Well, if you require anything else that I can offer now, now would be a good time to let me know."
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thade Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:10 pm

No. I can't let him get away. Not now. I can't be left alone with these people. All I wanted was a peaceful suicide, and now I'm trapped in a Sartre play. This is idiotic. I must find a distraction.

"What the hell does that button do?" I point to the red button next to the door. "Oh and can we perhaps get more comfy chairs? I don't want to be sitting on marble for all of eternity."
Thade
Thade
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:22 pm

The Valet

The valet glanced at the button before walking over to it. He stood next to it and pointed at it inquisitively. "This button?" he asked as if there were other buttons in the room. "This is a call button. If you click it, either one of the other valets or I will come up to the room at once. That is if it's working when you click it."

The valet's eyes then flicked rapidly in ten or so different directions -- giving the room a scan. "I can see nothing wrong with the room, sir," the valet continued talking, his voice oozing with respect. "All of them are not unlike this one. But I'll be sure to take it up with someone."
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thade Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:12 pm

I sigh. There really isn't a way to get out of this situation. I still hold out the hope that it's merely a dream, but that hope is fading fast. Guess I'm doomed. He did say he hadn't heard of anyone ever leaving.

"Alright thank you. Please, if it's at all possible, I'd like to speak to your manager, or God, or Lucifer, or whoever the hell is in charge. I'd like to contest some charges."
Thade
Thade
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:26 pm

The Valet

The valet does a little graceful bow before saying, "I'll be sure to speak with my betters about it, sir. Enjoy your stay." The valet performs the same little bow to each person in turn before turning towards the door and exiting from the room. The door closes shut behind him with an echo of the sound ringing throughout the room for a moment.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:40 pm

Elijah Ferguson

I half heartedly wave away the Valet. Whatever. Let him leave. Being alone sounds as good as anything else right now anyway. I sit on one of the benches, sizing up the bookcase and its contents. A notebook for each of us but only one pencil. I glance up and the frustrated man. He looked like the intelligent type. He'd likely be irate if he didn't end up with the pencil. Not that I minded. I resolved to offer it to him after introductions were made. No point in being rude to him or making enemies, I suppose.

I looked over my shoulder at the individual examining their nails. How could someone be so content with this situation? I shook my head in confusion.
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thade Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:45 pm

Mortimer Pessoa

I turned and faced my new companions with an expression of ice. Eternity was a long time, and I couldn't guarantee I wouldn't try to kill the both of them before then. I doubted I could actually do any damage however, so for now I figured I'd try to maintain some semblance of self control. Try to get along with these idiots, at least. I sighed and my expression softened into one of weariness and dread.

"So. Eternity huh? I don't make any promises, but I'll try not to kill you both." My voice dripped with sarcasm, a desperate coping mechanism for an impossible situation.
Thade
Thade
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:02 pm

Elijah Ferguson

I don't bother to look at the writer-type man. "I don't think you can kill us. Dead... remember? Where would even go if we died now?" I shrug. "Uh. Thanks for not wanting to kill me yet, I guess."

I sigh, cupping my face in my hands. I still don't know where to begin with coping in this situation. I decided that maybe being friends with my new eternal companions was all I could do for the moment. I stand up, collecting the items on the shelf. I approach the sarcastic man and offer him one of the notebooks, as well as the only pencil.

"Uh. Hi. Figured you'd want the only pencil. You uh. You seem the type. I'm Elijah. Last name Ferguson."
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thade Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:44 pm

Mortimer Pessoa

I took the pencil and notebook with narrow eyes and a hesitant grip. This person was being kind. In hell. Facing an eternity with your's truly. He clearly missed some important memo somewhere.

"Yeah, that's the joke." What an odd person. "Thanks. Mortimer. Pessoa." I turn slightly to look at the only other person in the room. "Now who in god's name are you? You seem thrilled to be doomed to an eternity of hell. The way I see it, you're either insane or just an idiot."
Thade
Thade
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Snœflæk Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:39 pm

Tamela Hand

Hmm...
"...you're either insane or just an idiot."
"Insane...yes. But an idiot? Only slightly."
I look up to the man, and stand up to greet him personally.

"I am Hand, Tamela Hand. Nice to meet you... Mortimer."
I put out my hand to his. A handshake is most appropriate in this situation.

"What are you going to write on that then? A letter?" I inquire as i turn my attention to the pencil, "To who? Lucifer? Beelzebub? Yourself?"
Snœflæk
Snœflæk
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:38 pm

Elijah Ferguson

Mildly concerned about Mortimer's standoffishness versus Tamela's odd personality, I inch around the two, setting Tamela's notepad where she had previously been sitting. That's when I couldn't help but stare. Tamela was a picturesque beauty. Slender, feminine, flowing hair. Definitely my type. Maybe... hell wouldn't be so boring, yeah?

But something seemed... off......
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thade Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:41 pm

Mortimer Pessoa

I rub the bridge of my nose, sighing at the girl.  This kind of thing is why I killed myself.  And now, here I am, either in the afterlife or some kind of drug induced hysteria with these two.  But if it's going to be eternity, I might as well establish some basic etiquette.

"It's an absolute pleasure Tamela."  I reply, looking her in the eyes but neglecting to put out my hand as I feel a sudden yet desperate need to get incredibly drunk on cheap gin.  

"Now, listen up.  Let's try to put some semblance of order into this hellhole.  Mainly what I mean by that is no banging each other.  Got it?"
Thade
Thade
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next