Hell is People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most creative/unique book you've encountered?

5 posters

Go down

Most creative/unique book you've encountered? Empty Most creative/unique book you've encountered?

Post by Fi Skirata Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:17 pm

I seem to recall a book someone I knew in highschool had that was supposed to be like, the diary of a drug addict, and dialogue was arranged into specific patterns and stuff on page to show how her mind was arranged. It was super neat. I can't seem to recall what it was called, unfortunately.
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Most creative/unique book you've encountered? Empty Re: Most creative/unique book you've encountered?

Post by Mr. Fountain Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:13 pm

It was probably Crank or Glass by Ellen Hopkins. I can't believe I remember the names of the books and the author. I've read Identical and Impulse by her.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Most creative/unique book you've encountered? Empty Re: Most creative/unique book you've encountered?

Post by Thade Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:07 pm

House of Leaves is a total mind fuck. Pretty fucking creepy too.
Thade
Thade
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:19 pm

I own House of Leaves. It's another one of those books that I have stacked up that I can't seem to bring myself to read.

While I have also not read this one, I would like to through Joyce's Finnegans Wake into the mix.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thade Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:23 pm

Good god Finnegans wake. I tried reading that so that I could feel smart. Never again.
Thade
Thade
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:32 pm

Joyce's last words: "Does nobody understand?"

No, Joyce, no. Nobody understands.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thade Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:33 pm

I actually liked Portrait and Dubliners. I pushed through Ulysses, but it was miserable.
Thade
Thade
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:41 pm

I read a little - very little - of Portrait and had a class in which it was the subject. I like what I read. I still have my copy of Portrait from the class and I also have Ulysses (which I have also not read). 

It seems as though the moment I finished reading Salinger's Zooey and Franny and Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour: An Introduction, I hit a rut and managed to get through the first two stories in his Nine Stories. After that, I haven't really read anything at all. >,<
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thade Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:43 pm

That happens. For a while I found I could only read when I had more important things to be doing. It was odd. And damaging to my grades, as I just read during lectures.
Thade
Thade
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:49 pm

Same for me. I read a ton in high school, and when I graduated, I just kinda slowed down.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thade Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:53 pm

I was a precocious teen. Read things that most people hadn't touched. Then I got really apathetic, and haven't really read to the same extent since. It certainly sucks. I think that as soon as you become an adult, all this shit comes crashing down and sucks out your soul. So even when you have the time, you are too tired to do anything.
Thade
Thade
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Megantron Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:06 pm

I read a book called Lexicon recently that was very interesting. Different take on how language is used.

I've been meaning to read House of Leaves...

The Book Thief is unique in that it's narrator is literally Death.
Megantron
Megantron
Esquire

http://www.hauntingsss.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:28 pm

Megantron wrote:

Go on.
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Megantron Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:51 am

Mr. Finale wrote:
Megantron wrote:

Go on.

It's set during the holocaust when they would have book burnings and whatnot and how this little girl would go and steal books. I read it a long time ago so I don't remember everything that happened.
Megantron
Megantron
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Nexeria Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:44 pm

Megantron wrote:I read a book called Lexicon recently that was very interesting. Different take on how language is used.

Oh yeah, I know about that book. I haven't read it, but I know of the author, Max Barry. He's the creator of nationstates.net, a website I spent a lot time on over the last three years.
Nexeria
Nexeria
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:56 pm

Megantron wrote:
Mr. Finale wrote:
Megantron wrote:

Go on.

It's set during the holocaust when they would have book burnings and whatnot and how this little girl would go and steal books. I read it a long time ago so I don't remember everything that happened.
I have the book if you want to borrow it, Finale.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:37 pm

I'm interested but I don't know where I would find the time. Hopefully I will be able to get around to it.

Fountain, what was that book you got that had all those bits of paper and stuff inside of it or whatever?
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:24 pm

S. or "Ship of Theseus by V.M. Straka"
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:02 pm

Explain that book to me. Why all the feelies and paper bits and such?
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:08 pm

Nexeria could do a better job of that.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:01 am

I was under the impression it was your book?
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:34 am

Yeah, but he took greater interest in it than me.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Megantron Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:25 pm

I should mention John Dies at the End is wild... though I've only actually read the first chapter and seen the movie.

My ex-boyfriend says that is only the book he has ever read though because he hates reading, but that one is just too bizarre and always gets him interested.
Megantron
Megantron
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down